Somerton Surf Life Saving Club Incorporated (SSLSC) recognises that privacy is important and that individuals have a right to control their personal information. SSLSC acknowledges that providing personal information is an act of trust and SSLSC takes that seriously. Unless an individual gives SSLSC consent to act otherwise, the following Regulation governs how SSLSC handles personal information of individuals.
SSLSC is committed to protecting personal information.
SSLSC is also committed to complying with the private sector National Privacy Principles set out in Privacy Act (Cth) 1988.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
SSLSC will not collect personal information unless the information is necessary for one or more of its functions or activities. SSLSC will also only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
At the time of collecting personal information, SSLSC will advise the individual of:
- the name and contact details of SSLSC;
- the fact that he or she is able to gain access to the information;
- the purposes for which the information is collected;
- other organisations to which SSLSC usually discloses information of that kind;
- the main consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the information is not provided.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
SSLSC will not use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose (the secondary purpose) other than the primary purpose of collection unless:
- Both of the following apply:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection and,
- if the personal information is sensitive information, directly related to the primary purpose of collection; and
- the individual would reasonably expect SSLSC to use or disclose the information for the secondary purpose; or
- the individual has consented to the use or disclosure; or
- if the information is not sensitive information and the use of the information is for the secondary purpose of direct marketing:
- it is impracticable for SSLSC to seek the individual’s consent before that particular use; and
- SSLSC will not charge the individual for giving effect to a request by the individual to SSLSC not to receive direct marketing communications; and
- the individual has not made a request to SSLSC not to receive direct marketing communications; and
- in each direct marketing communication with the individual, SSLSC draws to the individual’s attention, or prominently displays a notice, that he or she may express a wish not to receive any further direct marketing communications; and
- each written direct marketing communication by SSLSC with the individual sets out SSLSC’s business address and telephone number; or
- SSLSC reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent:
- a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or
- a serious threat to public health or public safety; or
- SSLSC has reason to suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in, and uses or discloses the personal information as a necessary part of its investigation of the matter or in reporting its concerns to relevant persons or authorities; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- SSLSC reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following by or on behalf of an enforcement body:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;
- the protection of the public revenue;
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.
SSLSC will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
SSLSC will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. SSLSC will also take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that it no longer requires.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
SSLSC will provide individuals access to their personal information on request by the individual, except to the extent that:
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual; or
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious; or
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between SSLSC and the individual, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings; or
- providing access would reveal the intentions of SSLSC in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
- providing access would be unlawful; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law; or
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime; or
- the protection of the public revenue; or
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of its orders;
- by or on behalf of an enforcement body.
SSLSC may impose reasonable charges for providing access to personal information.